I'm a firm believer that everyone needs "me" time. When you're an adult and your adulting in this crazy and busy thing called life it's so important to take time out for yourself and do something that you love to do. As a parent its even more important to have "me" time because essentially you have a second full time job.
When I was pregnant I was told by many people who already had kids and were a lot older than me that when you have a child they come first and "you" don't matter as much. I actually beg to differ..I don't believe that at all. I believe kids are young and innocent and need guidance throughout their childhood so of course as a parent you need to dedicate time and effort into raising them, however, I also believe that you have one life to live and your life is equally important so you need to have "me" time. Me time means being away from kids, work, and everyday responsibilities you may have.
You can probably tell by now that I LOVE traveling and traveling is my happy place...but lets face it..I can't travel to a different country every week when I feel I need me time. Thats why there are so many other ways to allow yourself time to breathe, meditate, and hang out with yourself.
Here are 10 ways to make time for yourself and do things that make you happy:
1. Go to a cafe, order your favorite hot drink, and read a book and get lost in the story
2. Head to the beach and relax and enjoy the breeze
3. Stay in bed all day watching your favorite shows
4. Find a hobby and do it when you get the chance (photography, writing, karaoke, bowling)
5. Do a short road trip - Drive to the nearest city and explore
6. Go to the movies alone and watch a movie
7. Head to Groupon and book a cheap massage
8. Join a club with other like-minded individuals (meetup.com is a good place to start)
9. Go for a hike in different areas
10. Go to free events in our area (check out eventbrite.com for free events)
Me time doesn't have to be extravagant like booking flights, it can be something that relaxes you like Yoga or something that you like to drink like your favorite latte at your favorite cafe. Doing something simple for yourself can go so far! If you don't have the funds there are tons of free things to do in every city it's just a matter of pulling up Google and doing a bit of research. I live next tot he beach and I realized they had free Yoga on the beach in the summer! Had I not researched I would have never known. I believe in being happy de-stressing yourself and relaxing which ultimately contributes to your happiness and health.
Its OKAY to be selfish and think about yourself! You can't just work, be a parent, pay bills and die..you have to enjoy your life! Life passes by so quickly it would be sad to never do things for you. Don't let anyone make you feel bad for caring about yourself.
What have YOU done for yourself today to have "me" time?