I recently got back from an unplanned trip to Jamaica. It was very last minute due to a death in the family, unfortunately. With that being said I didn't calculate Jamaica in my budget, obviously, so I decided to whip out my Jet Blue card and use my points to cover my trip. My best friend convinced me two years ago to get the card so I went for it. The credit line was very generous and more than I expected. I would suggest having established credit and a good credit score before applying for this credit card.
So far in a two year span I've used my Jet Blue points and went to these place for FREE:
Keep in mind I probably could have used it to go to more places but I also have the American Express Delta Gold card that I also use for free traveling. I personally think the Jet Blue card is way better than my Amex Delta card because it requires way less points to travel! If I remember correctly I only used 3,800 points each way to get to and from Bermuda.
Now, let's do some math. Lets say you pay $800 in rent, $70 for your cell phone, $75 for electricity, $200 a month on food and $100 a month on gas.
If you're lucky enough to be able to pay rent with a card then you've just spent $1245 for the month on your card (plus whatever else you buy) those items would get 2 points per dollar for groceries and 1 point per dollar for everything else. Thats 1,646 points per month. In two months you have enough to go to somewhere! in 3 months you can go to Bermuda!
The reason why I prefer my Jet Blue card over my American Express and my other cards and Jet blue in general is because:
1. I get six points per dollar on Jet Blue purchases
2. I enjoy wine on my flight for half the price! All in-flight purchases are 50% off and wifi is free anyway on all Jet Blue flight including in flight entertainment
3. I get a free checked in bag and so does ANYONE on my reservation
4. The points needed to get a free flight aren't bad at all
5. There is a $99 annual fee but I think its more than worth it
6. You get free snacks and drinks (perfect of your flying with kids)
7. If you have a family member who flies jet blue they can transfer their points to you which is great especially if their never gonna use them
8. You get the first checked bag free to the cardholder and up to three others on the same itinerary.
that's $160 in savings for 4 people round trip!
9. Free seat assignments
10. Best of all your points don't expire!
There are actually two Jet Blue cards. One is free and one isn't. View the chart below to see the comparison:
Heres how I view things..if your GOING to spend money anyway on monthly expenses and you have the cash in your bank account to pay them with then why not swipe your credit card and pay for it and get rewarded? After I swipe my credit card I pay it back the same day with my checking account so its paid off and I don't have to think about it again. I can use my debit card for purchases but why? what reward am I getting from it? nothing.
Traveling doesn't have to be expensive. My goal is to educate people who are unfamiliar with traveling and don't know where to start. I hope this helped and good luck when applying for the Jet Blue card!